Sunday, October 4, 2015

Tryst with death???

Last week I underwent operation to rectify umbilical hernia. The doctor advised general anesthesia for the surgery. The surgery started, as usual, the OT team had a tough time finding a vein. They cited multiple reasons, including my obesity. But even when I was thinner, it was tough to find my vein. Nevertheless, the team finally found it and inserted the anesthesia.

I don't remember when the surgeon came and when the operation concluded (obviously!!). But post it, when the doctors were getting ready to move me back to my room, they found that I was not inhaling. Actually by that time, even I was awake but my body was not under my control. I was not able to make any of my parts move including my lungs.

The doctors in order to make me respire started hitting me. They also pinched me and pressed me under my ears. I could feel the pain but was helpless as I could not force my lungs to suck the air.

I could hear them say, Shashi breathe... Shashi Nandivada oopiri peelchukondi(saans lo, breathe) but could not do much.

It may be a very common situation in the operation theatre but for me, it was a tryst with death...

That is when I felt maybe this is what happens when you die when you so much want to live!! God brought me to his doorsteps but then sent me back. 

Thinking about this, I recollect the speech that my friend wrote for me, where I was opposing the topic, and which still holds good, man is definitely not the architect of his destiny.
The entire speech is in  one of my earlier blogs. Here is the link: 
http://iamshashikiran.blogspot.com/2007/06/man-is-architect-of-his-own-destiny-is.html

2 comments:

Unknown said...

U were nowhere near death girl.. Not as long as the anaesthetists were standing there

Unknown said...

Hmm..perhaps.. But for me it was a near-death experience.