Saturday, October 10, 2015

Shh..grandpa's around!!!!


Just the other morning, I was standing in my balcony basking in the morning sun. I saw an elderly gentleman doing his daily yoga practices. Accompanying him were a bunch of kids who also were something related to yoga :), falling in and out of the yoga mat.

That scene reminded me if the days I had spent under the guidance of my grandfathers. My paternal grandfather was a man of less words and more anger. We were very scared of him, so we used to hardly stay at home. Most of the time we would spend in our aunt's place with my cousins.

But one thing I distinctly remember is the walks to the MCEME temple in Trimulgherry. It used to be a long walk but he made us do it. I did not realize the distance during my childhood as with cousins it was always fun doing anything. But now when I pass by the same place, I wonder how did I manage to walk for so long. And that too almost everyday!!

He hardly spoke, but the thought that he was around, was reassuring.
I also remember the songs he used to sing, Alak elahi ek hai. I sing the same to my children. He was a good singer with a baritone.  With his friends he was one of the most jovial persons around.

Maybe the fact that we were staying in Delhi and visited once a year did not allow the bond between him and I to grow much.
When he died there were lots of people who attended the funeral, that is when I realized what a gregarious person he was. Also he was the one who wanted to celebrate life, and his death. On his 1-year ceremony, dad hosted a big dinner party in his memory rather than having a dismal memorial. 

Today looking at that old man doing yoga and also silently monitoring the kids brought back memories.
Dear grandfather... Rest in peace!!!

4 comments:

Phani said...

Rula diya yaar Shashi subah subah..Miss him though, May be anger was his way of showing love, we realized this very late.

Miss him :(

serendipity said...

Rolled back to memories!!! " ehh Somi paani lao"..

serendipity said...

Rolled back to memories!!! " ehh Somi paani lao"..

serendipity said...

Rolled back to memories!!! " ehh Somi paani lao"..