Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Some new geeky stuff

Ok, so I am finally getting some opportunity to check out the latest in the technology, of course, these things might have been released ages ago. But I got to hear about them and learn about them only recently. So here they go...

Elastic Search: It is a search engine that has been built over Apache Lucene. This search makes the whole searching easier by using JSON over HTTP. It is distributed and replicated. Also indexing is done that makes search easier. Next, there is no schema attached. So whatever you seek for using the JSON request and in that format is returned. 

Apache Lucene: An open-source searching library. It was originally written in Java. It searches in documents containing texts. File formats are not considered.  Twitter uses Lucene for searches.

OK, I might be drifting from what I have defined already. But since there are too many terms, I am just noting them down as and when I get to hear about them.

CAP theorem: CAP in CAP theorem means Consistency, Availability and Partition Tolerance. It is also called Brewer's theorem. It says for distributed applications/systems, it is possible to achieve any 2 of the three mentioned at any given time.

That's all I learnt today. Will update once I get to know more stuff!!!


No comments: